[Tfug] [OT] Stupidity of phishing victims

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Sat May 3 16:04:48 MST 2008

How can you tell the phishing site is writing to a file or what they are doing with the info?

And how do you know the number of people that gave their info?

I must have missed an email someplace....

Choprboy <choprboy at dakotacom.net> wrote: OK... so this is more of a vent than anything else... I can not believe the
stupidity of people who fall for phishing scams. I just received another one,
so I did my usual examination of the compromised server. Typical decimal IP
address substitution to a compromised server running on a non-standard port,
ie. "Please update your details here":
http://1234567890:82/login/scam.php

In this case though, unlike many where the captured details are forwarded
directly to a Hotmail/Gmail account, the details are being written directly
to a local filre on the server. This of course means that the results can
easily be viewed. A few hours after the email went out, 29 morons have
submitted the full name, email address, Paypal password, and credit cards
details with CVV and expiration. 7 captures of people entring obviously
invalid data/cursing the fraudster, etc. Talked about a criminals wet dream,
is it really this easy? How can people be so flipp'n stupid????

Adrian

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options:

Keith Smith