[Tfug] ftp problems

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Fri May 2 08:11:14 MST 2008

I'm having sporadic problems with ftp (fetching files from remote servers)
that may be a problem caused by my ditz ISP.  The primary sympton is that,
for reasons unknown, all ftp that I attempt to certain sites from a Linux
(CentOS) box hang when I get the point where data (files or directory
lists) are to be transferred back to me.  All of these are in passive mode,
which appears to be the only mode that the Linux version of ftp "speaks."
When I go to my Solaris box, which has an older ftp that doesn't know about
passive mode, things work fine.  Things will work fine for a week or more,
and then will stop working again.  This is to different servers in very
different locations, so I suspect the problem is at my end somewhere.
There have been no changes to any of my systems.  [The reason I suspect my
ISP is that an ISP-owned firewall/router sits in my office over which I
have no/zip/nada control.  They have four times now changes rules and
firmware on this beast without notice which caused problems for me.  I'm
solving that particular problem by ditching this ISP once their contract is
up.]

So, is this a familiar problem?  I've checked port blocking, and both ftp
ports appear to be OK on the firewall, at least as far as I can tell by my
limited view into the firewall settings.  The ISP has been no/zip/nada help
with this.

Jim
| Jim Secan           | Northwest Research Assoc, Inc |
| (jim at nwra.com)      | 2455 E. Speedway, Suite 204   |
| (520) 319-7773      | Tucson, Arizona 85719         |