[Tfug] raid help

Ronald Sutherland ronald.sutherland at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 15:01:29 MST 2008

Last time I was trying to figure out what all I should mirror I was having
over heating issues (it was jumbling my RAM). I've also seen power line
sags/spikes/noise, and power supply's go bad and jumble RAM. So for my needs
I've decided that first I want data (SQL, FileServer, SVN/CVS...) mirrored
and second my system to be fully duplicated and/or real easy to build again
(a setup that is scripted). Having seen memory get messed up for various
reasons, I didn't see much advantage in adding redundancy to the virtual
part of the memory system, although I guess mirroring gives a speed
advantage during reading. I have the hardware but not yet the time to setup
full redundancy. Many of the Linux rags have ran articles on a service
called "heartbeat" that allows the backup to have a clue if the main/master
is alive and then take over if not, anyway thats what I'm looking into.

http://www.linux-ha.org/Heartbeat