[Tfug] SQL database question

Jeffry Johnston tfug at kidsquid.com
Tue Mar 18 20:25:41 MST 2008

How about this:

1) the person before you, votes
2) it prints out TWO entries on the sheet (identical), which are hashes.
3) the person before you takes the first part, the second part waits
on you to vote
4) when you vote, based on the vote, a new hash is created, and two
new hashes are printed.. one for you, one for the next person
4a) in addition, a backup roll is printed (that you don't have access
to, but can see), where you can verify that the ending hash was
printed... matching yours (for the paper trail)
5) you take your sheet (with before and after hashes), leaving the
after hash for the next person
6) you can verify your vote was right by entering the before and after
hashes (the algorithm would be open, so I'd guess there would be
websites everywhere where you could do it)

Advantages:
1) you don't find out who the person before you voted for, but it
forms an unbroken chain (since the starting number was printed
twice).. so your starting hash number cannot have been fabricated
2) provides for independent verification.. but even the sheet you get
doesn't reveal your votes until you check them online
3) paper trail is verified by humans

Jeff