[Tfug] OT: Proposed increase in H1B visas

Steve Shucker sshucker at vmsinfo.com
Tue Mar 18 09:35:07 MST 2008

I think you just hit the nail on the head with one line:

Finding qualified IT personnel is almost impossible

It's easy to find people, but very difficult to find the ones you want.
H1Bs give you a larger pool to choose from, and that's bound to mean a
few more of the rare gems.  I think there's always going to be plenty of
work for the top talent, although it's not always easy for the great
employees and great employers to identify each other.  Adding another
10,000 superstars would be great for the IT industry in general and the
businesses would gladly hire them.  Bringing in 90,000 mediocre people
along with the 10,000 really good ones will just worsen the glut of
mediocre people.  Now add in all the shades of gray between superstars
and idiots and the whole situation gets really complicated.

Personally, I'm opposed to more H1Bs because I think they're a short
term solution to a long term problem.  If we need 65k H1Bs/year, then we
need to be offering citizenship to people who will bring their families
and stay here rather than renting workers who will visit for a few
years, build up their skillset, send money home and eventually go back
to build up our competitors in another country.

-Steve