[Tfug] Fwd: Re: Not sure what I just did..

Joe Roberts deepspace at dataswamp.net
Mon Mar 17 20:09:39 MST 2008

I don't blame you for being reticent but the degree to which the United
States actually restricts freedom or censors people is far less than the
sensationalistic press of the last few years would indicate.  I am, as much
as it is possible to be, an enemy of the so-called "politce state", Big
Brother, call it what you will, but, in fact, I will bet you $100.00 right
now that, were you to put up a site here in the United States, no one  -
meaning the authorities - would care.  One of the problems in fighting the
gradual decrease in our personal liberties is exaggeration and overstatement
by the state's enemies, which serves no positive purpose that I am aware
of.  If you are going to publish terrorist how-to manuals (hello, Echelon,
you look *hot* today!), that might be a different story, but in an internet
full of hysterical Alex Jones type and gas mask porn, I doubt you are
anywhere near a priority.

I would also add that the free speech record of other countries isn't so hot
as the sanctimoniousness of foreign critics would indicate (witness how many
countries have bans on "hate speech", Nazi symbolism, and, in some cases,
what the government considers deviant pornography - even our otherwise
enlightened neighbors to the north have their excesses in this regard).
The authoritarians in the US government tend to pick and choose their
targets carefully.  Their working theory is that if they limit their
asshattery to those they think other USians consider "marginal," they can
get away with anything.  I do not think attempts to silence or intimidate US
citizens individually in the United States, on the occasions they have done
so, has gone very well (remember that woman from the Green Party who was
harrassed?  Not good PR.)  Rather, the government seems to limit its focus
on poor third worlders that, they surmise, no one in the US cares about.

Statism just the same, and no less offensive (I, for one, believe that
rights apply to all people, in every country on earth, whether or not their
respective governments recognize them or not), but from a practical
standpoint, and with respect to your understandable fears, I really think
you're unlikely to encounter any problems on a website about
sustainability.  The US government is more likely to consider you a hippie
bearing wheatgrass, not a domestic threat.  In the spectrum of supposed
threats to the state, consider to what degree the government is even likely
to notice you.

 -Quag7