[Tfug] Happy Hour venue v. boohoo

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Mon Mar 17 15:09:51 MST 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 02:44:11PM -0700, Shawn Nock wrote:
> Any chance that this moves back to near the U? 1702 serves dozens of
> beers and has a back meeting room that can be reserved... It isn't
> nearly as loud as Trident.
>
> If the turnout is good, I don't want to rock the boat. However, 13mi.
> through rush hour traffic, after work is non-trivial on my best days.
> Which is why I have yet to make it to a Happy Hour @ Charlie's.

I wasn't aware that 1702 had a meeting room.  I'll try to stop
by this week and see if it'll meet our needs.  I personally prefer
when we've met closer to the University as it tends to be more
centrally located for a number of people.  On the other hand, it's
more difficult for some of the working people.  There's never a
win-win.

Having tried a number of places, what seems to be the basic
requirements are: decent bar, decent and varied food selection, good
service, ability to split the check, easy parking, an area that can
house 6-12 people comfortably plus more on occasion, good prices, not
too loud, and not 21+ only.  This combination is actually more
difficult to find than one might expect.  I've also generally picked
places that are locally owned.

My sense is that most people find Charlie's to be adequate but not
ideal.  If people have suggestions, please throw them out.  We'll
definitely do Charlie's this week but maybe change it up in the
future.

Also, I'm thinking that it might be time for a TFUG BBQ again.  So if
anybody wants to volunteer to host, please do and we'll put you on the
calendar.

Claude