[Tfug] SQL database question

jblais joe.blais at pti-instruments.com
Mon Mar 17 12:41:29 MST 2008

Jim -
Hello.

//---------------
NOW I'm digging into election crap in Maricopa County.  They run Sequoia
voting system stuff, which in turn holds it's central database of votes in
MS-SQL.

So...if there's "program code" buried in the .SQL files, wouldn't it be
interpreted, or could it be compiled objects?  Would any such code, if it's
there, be modifiable fairly easily?  Does it even pass a basic sanity check
to have applications software embedded in an SQL database, or are they
likely just blowing smoke?
//---------------

To me, the definition of an off-the-shelf database, like MS-SQL, is a system
with which you can do anything!  I'm not a guru, but data as well as stored
procedures/scripts/SQLs, stored views, whatever, are all changeable by any
external application that knows MS-SQL.  Any DB "product" that doesn't allow
modifications to these is unusable as a commercial database to most anyone.

You may need passwords and stuff to get connections to the data.

There really shouldn't be a need for anything other than the raw collected
data in a vote gathering database.  I would think that all SQL requests can
be in the compiled applications that use it.  Views, stored SQLs, and such
are fluff that just make things easier for programmers and some users.

Joe