[Tfug] OT: Proposed increase in H1B visas

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 11:51:04 MST 2008

Hi fellow tech people,

Seems we have a sort of problem locally with our own congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.

I first learned of this problem on the PLUG list.

Seems she wants to double the amount of H1B visas from 65,000 to 130,000 per year and remove the student H1B visas from 20,000 to unlimited.  The legislation would increase the H-1B cap to 180,000 in 2010 to 2015 if the 130,000 cap is reached the year before.

In part the article states:

The Innovation Employment Act, introduced by Representative Gabrielle Giffords, an Arizona Democrat, late Thursday, would increase the cap in H-1B visas from 65,000 a year to 130,000 a year. In addition, there would be no cap on H-1B applications for foreign graduate students attending U.S. colleges and studying science, technology and related fields. Currently, there's a 20,000-a-year cap on visas for graduate students in all fields.

http://www.cio.com/article/197100/Bill_Would_Double_Cap_on_H_B_Visas

I called her office and complained.  I think everyone on the list should do likewise.  Phone: (520) 881-3588.

Keith Smith
(520) 207-9877
PHP Programmer