[Tfug] Busted Monitor

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 05:34:01 MST 2008

Wait...is the entire image within the visible area, visible?  In other
words, do you have cut-off text/graphics, or is the system simply using less
of the screen than expected?

See...OK, let's assume for a sec this thing is 1280x1024 resolution.  And
you send it a signal of, say, 1024x768.  Depending on how the monitor copes,
it may indeed leave a "black band" all around - representing the unused
space!  The alternative is it'll try and stretch 1024x768 to fit the bigger
screen and distort things quite a bit.

What I would strongly recommend is, you look up the exact specs of the
monitor, find out what it's real resolution is, and try sending that signal
from your 'pooter, setting resolution to match the screen.

If it's still wonky, then the screen is probably FUBAR.

Jim