[Tfug] Follow-up: Li-ion battery charging problem

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 15 15:14:24 MST 2008

Battery life on cellular phones used to be problematic.  I kept my last phone for 4 years and did not intentionally drain the battery fully down once.  Battery still good.

I wonder why laptops cannot get the same life.  4 years would be great and it would be time to buy a new one.

Rich <r-lists at studiosprocket.com> wrote: Those (environ)mental hybrid cars and trucks don't let their
batteries go above 70% or below 30% charge for this reason (I might
have the figures wrong, but the principle's the same). That's how
they can guarantee them for ten years. Laptop, cellphone, and other
portable electronic thingy manufacturers don't have the same customer
expectations, so they can classify them as "consumable items" and
instruct you to allow the cells to discharge fully and charge fully
on each cycle.
R.

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options: