[Tfug] SQL database question

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Sat Mar 15 04:20:01 MST 2008

On Saturday 15 March 2008 03:13, Jim March wrote:
[snip]
> I filed a public records request for those data files.  The county turned
> me down because Sequoia told them to - Sequoia wrote a letter saying that
> they embedded "program code" within the database, which in turn is
> proprietary trade secret of Sequoia.

Its a bullcrap defense and has already been shot down in other courts... Now
you just have to actually file a lawsuit to do the same here.

[snip]
> So...if there's "program code" buried in the .SQL files, wouldn't it be
> interpreted, or could it be compiled objects?  Would any such code, if it's
> there, be modifiable fairly easily?  Does it even pass a basic sanity check
> to have applications software embedded in an SQL database, or are they
> likely just blowing smoke?

The "program code" is most likely just triggers and views. Bits of scripting
that perform SQL operations based on other operations (i.e. update a table
based on inserts to another table) or restrict the view, query-able, or
query-statements to particular tables.

Adrian