[Tfug] Webpage outside US

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Fri Mar 14 09:17:57 MST 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 08:43:53AM -0700, Andrew Ayre wrote:
> If it's your opinion, and you state it as such, then I don't think
> it is slander. If it is not your opinion then I would expect a paper
> to cite references to back up the claims made.

If it's written, it's not slander but libel.  But more to the point,
it's his Master's thesis.  The last thing anybody's concerned about in
an academic work is libel because you're citing the hell out
everything and documenting everything you do less you get hit for
plagiarism or violating ethical integrity, either of which could
result in your failing the thesis and/or getting expelled from the
program.

Besides, if I recall correctly, libelous statements also have to be
malicious.  Generally speaking, the only people hurt by academic
writing are those forced to read it!  (bada-bing!)

Claude