[Tfug] Holy Wars!

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 16:55:08 MST 2008

--- Robert Hunter <hunter at tfug.org> wrote:

> Honestly, I can't tell the difference anymore in
> terms of speed
> betweem emacs and what might have been traditionally
> considered
> "faster" editors.  However, if you are looking for
> an editor that can
> chew up your CPU, I'm sure they exist!

If you're running on a < 2ns machine, the difference
*tends* to be negligible.  But, try editing something
*huge* on a slow machine and you'll see differences.
:<

I recall running a copy of Brief *1.1* (?) after
having worked with 3.mumble for a while and the
speed gain was astonishing (though 3.x was damn
fast!).

<shrug>  People seem to write code to burn up
CPU cycles with negligible "gain" to the user.
I guess I find most of the "featureware" to be
wasted (give me something that *works*!)

Of course, I find most all of the "editors"
suck when it comes to DTP....