[Tfug] where can I host a webpage

Matt Jacob matt.jacob at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 18:22:10 MST 2008

I too am confused as to why you'd want to host your site outside of
the country. Are you dealing with issues that would be illegal in the
U.S.?

Anyway, I have a Slicehost VPS (the 256 MB = $20/mo. plan) that
performs like a champ. I've got Debian Etch, MySQL, Apache, Postfix,
Dovecot, etc. running nicely, and the box is hosting about 10 sites
with low-to-medium traffic.

If you don't want/need the control/complexity of maintaining your own
box, then I'd go with a shared hosting provider like someone already
mentioned (though probably not Dreamhost, as I've heard quite a few
bad things about them). A Small Orange <http://www.asmallorange.com>
consistently gets good reviews over at the Web Hosting Talk forums
<http://www.webhostingtalk.com>.

Alternatively, you might want to talk with your advisor to see if you
can round up some hosting on a departmental server. I know Eller at
least provides all kinds of hosting options for
class/master's/doctoral projects.

Matt