[Tfug] Conditional execution of .emacs?

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Sun Jun 29 13:15:37 MST 2008

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 10:44:40PM -0700, Robert Hunter wrote:
> Out of curiosity, are you using xemacs, or GNU emacs?  I've had no
> problems with using ESS (an emacs mode for various statistical
> packages, including R) while running emacs-server.  What sort of
> problems were you having?

I'm running GNU emacs w/gnuserv (which was ripped from Xemacs back
before emacs-server existed).  The issue that I was having was that
while I generally run emacs from X, I prefer to run interactive R
sessions in an independent session, via non-windowed emacs (i.e., from
an xterm).  It's idiosyncratic and I don't think that there's any good
reason that I prefer things this way, but I do.

Anyhow, when I would start up "emacs -nw" (from within the xterm), it
would reread my .emacs and restart gnuserv which would cause problems
with my currently running gnuserv session.  So I needed to find a way
to start X versions of emacs with gnuserv and non-X versions without
gnuserv.  Writing a shell-script wrapper was actually a better
solution than trying to have emacs detect how it was started (which
was what I was originally trying to do).

Claude