[Tfug] Etch log files

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Tue Jun 24 15:16:40 MST 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 02:50:36PM -0700, TR wrote:
>To view the boot messages use
>$> dmesg

Unfortunately, dmesg only outputs messages from the kernel.  The message Eric
is asking about is coming from an init script.

For some reason which I cannot fathom, logging of init script output is not
enabled by default.  On Debian, edit the /etc/default/bootlogd file to enable
boot logging.  The result is stored in, I think, /var/log/boot.

The init script says it is off by default because it is broken on some
systems.  I guess that's true, but it sure seems like a better default would
be to have it *on* and have people manually turn it off if it causes
problems.  Unless, of course, it actually prevents booting...

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.