[Tfug] Conditional execution of .emacs?

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Mon Jun 23 20:44:28 MST 2008

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 03:33:22PM -0700, Robert Hunter wrote:
> Claude, I think there are several ways to do this.  For instance, you
> could specify a different init file when invoking emacs.
> Alternatively, you can start the emacsserver with --eval.

I assume that you meant '-f'?  In any case, that's what I eventually
did.  I removed the gnuserv invocation from my .emacs and rewrote the
dtemacs shell script that's provided with gnuserv.  You set your
$EDITOR to dtemacs.  When invoked, dtemacs tests if gnuserv is
running.  If so, dtemacs invokes gnuclient; if not, emacs -f
'(gnuserv-start)'.  Seems to solve the problem.  Now, when I want to
invoke an R instance, I just call an alias that invokes emacs sans
gnuserv.

Thanks,

Claude