[Tfug] Postfix isn't receiving mail?

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Thu Jun 19 17:14:53 MST 2008

On Thursday 19 June 2008 14:34, Christopher Robbins wrote:
> I know that asking for help on this one is going to be tough -
> I don't know a whole hell of a lot about Postfix, and this problem
> be anything...Well, here it goes -
>
> How do I troubleshoot a Postfix setup that isn't receiving mail?

Telnet to port 25.. is it open? Does it give a proper greeting? What happens
when you manually try to send an email to a user?

$> telnet 127.38.230.14 25
  220 email.example.com Postfix 1.2.3
HELO i.am.test.example.com
  250 OK , Hello i.am.example.com!
MAIL FROM: <user1 at nowhere.com>
  250 OK
RCPT TO: <user2 at example.com>
  250 OK User known
DATA
this: is suppose to be header information
followed: by various others fields
that: describe the email,
with: the email

body following afterward, but
I am to lazy to type it all up
in proper form for receipt
followed by

.
  250 OK Accepted for delivery
QUIT

$>

> I've done the usual steps - scanned the logs, nothing looks out of
> order.  I recently added two users, but I thought with Postfix it was
> as easy as creating a new user on the server.  I added aliases for
> these accounts into the /etc/aliases file.

Did you add new users or add new aliases??? Adding new users, if you are using
system users/passwd as the user directory, should just work (it is the
default, other options are LDAP/SQL/external DB/other).

If you added the names to /etc/aliases to point at some other real user
account, then you need to rebuild the alias DB for Postfix (it uses a
Berkeley DB fr faster lookups). Just run postalias to rebuild the DB, you may
a may not need to do a Postfix reload to tell it to re-read the DB file (I
don;t recall if postalias does this itself).

> Any help/snark is greatly appreciated

Adrian