[Tfug] Memory under reported

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Tue Jun 17 14:33:26 MST 2008

On Tuesday 17 June 2008 14:15, Terence Rudkin wrote:
> All
>
> I have Hardy, Ubuntu, 8.0.4 kernel   2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Jun
> 4.  The system has 4 gigs of Ram installed. But the system reports
> only 3369900.   I upgraded to Hardy in the last few week I know before
> this the memory had be the full 4G.   Any ideas on what may be at
> issue and how to troubleshoot?

Most likely.. the kernel you installed. There are several different kernel
builds for different hardware. The most important distinction, in your case,
is the standard kernel to the "Big-mem" kernel. The standard kernel has
support for "up to" 4GB of memeory, split as a maximum of 3GB user space and
1GB kernel space (having to do with 32bitspace address limitations and prior
assumptions of use). The big-mem kernel supports 4+GB of memory, the kernel
doesn;t really need that 1GB, so it gets allocated as user space (at least
that is my recollection of how it works).

You no doubt previously had the big-mem kernel installed/running and are now
on the standard kernel. Should be a simple matter of doing a
yum/apt-get/up2date install kernel-bigmem-1.2.3, whatever your package
management flavor is, and then rebooting onto the new kernel.

Adrian