[Tfug] Bizarre permissions problem

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Thu Jun 12 16:34:33 MST 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 03:29:10PM -0700, Jim March wrote:
>   I'm upgrading laptops and moved /home/jim to the new machine.
>   I now have a situation where /home/jim/.gvfs is owned by "jim" but with
>   access rights only - and root user has no permissions.
>   So in trying to make sure I own all of /home/jim, a command like:
>   jim at critter:/home$ sudo chown -R jim /home/jim
>   chown: cannot access `/home/jim/.gvfs': Permission denied
>   If I look at permissions for that directory in Nautilus, I see that I
>   have read-only access.  If I do "sudo nautilus" to look at the
>   situation as root, I can't even see /home/jim/.gvfs
>   And that apparently is blocking me from resetting permissions on my
>   home directory on a global, recursive basis.
>   How do I gain back write-access to .gvfs?
>   Jim

Hi Jim,

I've got the same directory on my laptop, though I'm not currently having any
issues with it.

One thing to be aware of is that this is actually a FUSE mount point.  If you
run ps, you'll probably see something running like:
   /usr/lib/gvfs//gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/jim/.gvfs

If that's running, it may be affecting your ability to change permissions on
the directory.  Maybe try it when you're not logged into X?

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.