[Tfug] Atheros monitor mode

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 18:33:42 MST 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 9:28 PM, hharden71 at netzero.net
<hharden71 at netzero.net> wrote:
> Any help would be graciously accepted.
> I am trying to put my Atheros AR5212 wireless abg card into monitor mode manually.
>
> I execute the command below as root and receive back:
>
> ~# iwconfig ath0 mode monitor
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
>    SET failed on device ath0 ; Invalid argument.

In most cases, you need to DL a driver for the card which has been
patched or patch and compile it yourself.  The stock drivers don't
have the capability to run the card in monitor mode.  The only
exception to that, AFAIK, is the orinoco driver (a different card),
for version >= 1.5

> If there is another command to do this, Or if you know the correct way to do this I would appreciate the help.

Actually, the only way I could get my orinoco card into monitor mode
was to use kismet from a Knoppix distro.  When trying to force it
myself manually, I get an error similar to the one you're seeing.

--
John