[Tfug] Tfug Logo/T-shirts

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 20:06:59 MST 2008

> > Sorry, I guess the "6 Bytes" humor was a bit
> dated/regional
>
> I didn't bother to ask before, maybe you can explain
> it?

At school, we had a T-shirt screened:

6 BYTES
00110110
01000010
01001001
01010100
01000101
01010011

Of course, there are "6 bytes" listed there.
And, for the geek, those bytes decode to
"6 bites".

"Course 6" was the EE department.  CS was
part of the EE department.

So, it is amusing on several levels (to a
techy):

first, they are "bytes" -- things that most
folks hadn't heard of (in the 70's)

second, casual observers knowing what bytes
*are* will just see them as six (insignificant)
bytes.

third, techies will decode those and see that
it reads "6 bites" -- and wonder why the mispelling.

finally, "the locals" would realize the perjorative
directed at "course six".

Sort of like a fiziks major touting maxwell's
equations on his T-shirt, etc.

As I said, I guess it's too "local" for general
discussion -- but, intended to illustrate how there
can be levels of humor in something that might
appear "insignificant" or "decorative" to other
users (e.g., a penguin with an 'F' on its chest...)