[Tfug] Troubleshooting Apache crashing

Matt Jacob m at mattjacob.com
Mon Jul 21 10:45:37 MST 2008

Mark Leinhos wrote:
> One thing that I'm sure someone could fix for me right away is the SSL
> pass phrase.  We have to enter it at the terminal (can't even do it
> remotely) whenever we reboot the server, which is annoying to say the
> least.  How can I update that part of the problem?

Well, that's an easy one: remove the passphrase from the file. :-) Of
course, it removes a layer of security, but if your system security and
file permissions are set properly, it shouldn't be anything to lose
sleep over. (I'm sure you lose more sleep when the server goes down in
the middle of the night and you have to reboot it and enter the passphrase.)

I'll examine your conf files when I get a chance, but Judd had a good
idea as well---check your error.log for anything obvious and report back
if you find something suspicious.

Matt