[Tfug] A question about partitions

Dennis McCormick macsinitial65haus at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 22:47:04 MST 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Wafa Hakim Orman <wafa1024 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a strange quandary. Way back when I partitioned my hard drive (a
> small drive, on an old computer), I kept 5 gigs for root & 10 for /home.
> Well, now I have barely 400 MB free on root & almost 4 gigs free on /home.
>
> Is there any way to shift disk space from /home to root without losing any
> data? Alternatively, can I split up that unused disk space to mount other
> folders (like /usr)? And if yes, which ones would be best?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Wafa.
>
> --
> "So be it."
> --Kurt Vonnegut

Go to distrowatch.com and get the link to GParted iso or Pmagic iso.
The latter works better with newer laptops. Burn the iso to CD-ROM and
boot from it.

In the Menu is a Features choice that shows what functions can be done
with which FS.

It's very easy to use the GUI in these distros to resize partitions
without data loss. I did one yesterday on my dad's extra drive that
involved shrinking an ext3 root partition (hdb3), moving the
unallocated space to the other side of the swap partition and growing
the FAT32 partition without data loss (hdb1).

Dennis McCormick