[Tfug] Ubuntu with a wireless/cell modem

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Sun Jul 20 16:48:02 MST 2008

Hi,

Thanks to Sprint's rapid un-deployment of the Broadband Direct, my folks are
currently with a Net connection.

My father does have a UT Starcom UM-100 USB wireless modem.  This is supposed
to connect to Cricket's cell network and provide a data link.  It has been
used previously in Windows so he knows it works.

Normally I am very weary of USB networkng gear, especially wireless.  But,
free is free.

The good news is that when it is plugged in, the kernel recognizes it as a
serial devices and attaches it to /dev/ttyACM0.  But, that is as far as we
have been able to get.

Google hasn't turned up anything about Ubuntu + UM-100.  And I haven't used a
modem in Linux (let alone Ubuntu) for so long I'm at somethign of a loss.

Is there any chance of this working at all?  What additional configuration
needs to be done?  I know there must be more, but in Windows it came with some
sort of setup program and it hid all of the details (phone numbes, codes,
accounts, etc.).

Anybody have any experience with this or something like it?

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.