[Tfug] my friend's computer shopping: epilogue

John Mc jmcneill2 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 16 02:47:58 MST 2008

I thought I'd let you know what we ended up getting for my sister:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8775756&type=product&id=1204331848044

Bought the last one (the display model) with a discount to $404.  I figure an extra core and gig of memory for $4 is a good deal. Plus it's got better expandability (up to 4 gigs and portable media drive bay (HD)) versus the other model we were looking at with 2 gigs max.

Now I'm gonna see about taking her old box, and an even older one she's got in the garage and see what kind of system I can set up to introduce them to Linux. Primarily educational games for the grandbaby, but also a backup system in case someday, heaven forbid, something should go wrong with their Vista system.