[Tfug] Geekery and the art of motorcycle maintenance...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 19:22:17 MST 2008

So I spent about five hours last night tearing my bike's top end apart,
hunting a head gasket problem.

The bike is basically a Harley - a '97 Buell S3 Thunderbolt with a pretty
hefty list of mods...2004-spec Buell XB heads, 1250cc oversize ceramic lined
barrels with high-compression race pistons, the rare KT Engineering exhaust
pipe dumping to a tuned Supertrapp, Mikuni 42mm smoothbore carb, etc.  Big
fun.  Well over 100hp at the crank.

http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/reviews/buell5_97.htm

This would all look like a typical biker's workshop in progress...except for
the laptop providing tunes via Pandora and the fact that my bike's factory
repair manual isn't paper, it's a downloaded PDF file...so I have to wipe
grease off, jump on the keyboard to look at my manual, etc :).

Greasemonkey, geek style.

It should be running right by the next Charlie's session.  The good news is
that I shut it down quick enough when the gasket went - there's no damage to
the head or barrel like I'd feared.  Now I just clean up the surfaces and
slap it back together.

Jim