[Tfug] Connectors

eric christian ericdanc at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jul 13 10:58:31 MST 2008

> Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 08:07:42 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Tfug] Connectors
> To: Tucson Free Unix Group <tfug at tfug.org>
>
> --- On Sat, 7/12/08, eric christian <ericdanc at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>

>> > Oh boy, I know this problem. For allmost all my USB
>> > connectors (they're
>> > in the back, waaaay back) I've got cheap extension
>> > cables to the front.
>>

> I think you can only use "extension cables" on USB 1.1 speeds.
> I'm pretty sure you need an *active* cable to support USB 2.0
> speeds.  :<

I looked in the MB broshure, they're 2.0. I'm not quite sure why you use
quotation marks, but the extension cables cost only  about 2 euro, and
are definitely a blessing: i plug in a 500 G HD or printer  or mem
stick  or whatever *in front*, no crawling behind (under) the PC blind
in the dark. I could even plug in a multi USB-port adaptor, i suppose.
This USB is a good deal. I remember i used to have to have a special
rack in the shack just for all sorts of cables and plugs/jacks, and
often had to get out the solder iron for this or that "standard" cable.
Now just plug in the USB. Whats an *active* USB cable?
eric