[Tfug] Gentoo 2008.0 LiveCD

erich erich1 at copper.net
Sun Jul 13 09:25:05 MST 2008

OK,
       So far I have seen nothing but praise for it on Google searches.
However,
I have tried to install it on two different machines, and it's buggy.

       1) There's no splash screen to indicate GRUB startup

       2) Initial text on the screen is out of sync and garbagy, You are
barely
           able to read it. After a certain point it corrects itself,
but some
           critical indicators have swept off the screen.

       3) The kernel fails to detect the network interface card. Search
thru a
           dmesg, and you won't find eth0, eth1 etc.

     The Gentoo developers say that Gentoo is a "fast moving target". Well,
perhaps it's a little too fast.

                      Erich