[Tfug] *Way* OT... :>

euvitudo euvitudo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 16:53:11 MST 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> OK, so you would have to manually start it the first time.
>> Once it has started, move the lower loop above the water
>> level in the barrel.  The flow will stop.  Then move the
>> loop below the water level in the barrel.  It will start
>> back up.
>
> Assuming I start it once, what criteria are there that govern
> when I would need to restart it (manually)?  I.e., as long
> as the leftmost end stays underwater?

You shouldn't have to restart it, provided there's sufficient rain
to fill the barrel and the water doesn't evaporate too quickly.

> E.g., could I set the "shut off level" to be 2" below the bottom
> of my barrel and,

I'm not sure what you mean by 2" below the bottom...

If you put the "shut off level" below the barrel, it should drain
the whole barrel.  So in this case, you'd need to have the
shut-off level at 2" above the bottom.  That will leave 2" of
water in the barrel.  You'll need to find a way to restrain the
hose inside the barrel (to keep it below the 2" line.

> as long as the inlet remains submerged in
> those 2" of water, will it automatically restart when *additional*
> water is added to the barrel?

That's correct.

>> One way to start the flow without the risk of filling your
>> mouth
>> full of rainwater is to fill the part of the hose that will
>> be inside
>> the barrel.  Then lift it until the water starts flowing.
>> Do this
>> repeatedly until water flows freely.  (It's like
>> filling a cup
>> sideways underwater.)
>
> Yes.  I use a variant of this.  I put the inlet end of the hose
> face up under water (so trapped air escapes and water flows in)
> and gradually coil more hose into the barrel.  Once there's
> enough water in it for a "head start", I can usually just
> *lift* that coiled section out of the barrel.
>
> It worksm but it requires me to be there to get things going.

Once you have the above setup, you shouldn't have to deal with
it, except to check that it is still working.  (If the hose is subject to
direct sunlight, water will evaporate from the hose, which could
force you to have to restart.

> If push comes to shove, I "charge" the hose with water from
> the hose bibb to get a head start.
>
>> > I.e., if I took an *empty* barrel and fabricated some
>> > tubing in the shape indicated and let it sit in the
>> rain,
>> > would it prime itself *before* the barrel overflowed?
>> > Or, does it rely on that to get it started?
>>
>> As stated above, you'll need to start the flow.  Once
>> the
>> desired water level is reached, you can move the lower
>> loop until it stops, and keep it there (attached to the
>> side,
>> or however you're going to do it).  Once the barrel
>> fills
>> past the height of the loop, water will flow (until the
>> level
>> in the barrel decreases back below the loop).
>
> This suggests my "2 inch" scheme should work?

Yes, provided it's 2" _above_ the bottom of the barrel.

>> So, when you go home tonight, just try it.  Otherwise, I
>> can produce a video tonight (need to clean one of my
>> aquaria) and send a link along.
>
> Thanks for the offer but I'll sort it out.  If I know how to
> make it work, I can fabricate a more permanent fixture to
> do this (e.g., PVC pipe in the correct shape).  THen, just
> leave one in each barrel and let them move the water for
> me (instead of having to go out in the storm to do it!)

Sounds good.

Phil