[Tfug] Wireless (BT, ZigBee, etc.)

johngalt1 johngalt1 at uswest.net
Sat Jul 5 16:10:24 MST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bexley Hall" <bexley401>
To: <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2008 2:23 PM
Subject: [Tfug] Wireless (BT, ZigBee, etc.)

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have more than "casual experience" with any
> of the wireless technologies for "appliances" (i.e.,
> *not* 802.11a/b/g/n)?  For example, knowing just what
> sort of things you could *conceivably* connect to your
> BT phone (i.e., does the phone manufacturer limit you
> or are the -- lack of -- "other available items" the
> primary factor)?

What sort of appliances?

For branded phones, the carrier will often cripple your
phone to allow only some of the BT profiles and features as
designed by the manufacturer. (in the USA especially)
Manufacturers want to make their devices useful, but
carriers often don't want the onus to support the features,
unless they can slap a fee on them.

I use BT GPS receiver (looks to the phone like a serial
port), A2DP wireless stereo, and BT headset.

You could also network BT devices together and access the
filesystems, but I don't use that. Some laptops have BT
built in. Otherwise a USB BT dongle works too.

I have read about some autos and printers being equipped
with BT.

Setting up things with BT can be a hassle. As a result
people are prone to ignore security. Some devices don't
support all the latest profiles you might expect.

Sorry, this probably classifies as casual experience...