[Tfug] MSAccess frontend to PostgreSQL?

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 4 18:30:44 MST 2008

Hi, Nate,

> I've done this before, but as soon as I could I wiped
> the horrible
> nightmare^H^H^H experience from my brain.  So I don't
> remember all the
> details, but it wasn't hard.  You just need to install
> the postgres
> client drivers (available for download on postgresql.org)
> then set up a
> ODBC connection in the ODBC control panel.  From there I
> think you just
> create external links in access or something.  My memory
> definitely
> fades from there.

I was wondering if MSAccess *really* speaks SQL or if it
speaks "MSql" or some other bastardization in an attempt to
wrest the standard away from those currently controlling it...

> I can tell you that it's not going to be the greatest
> performance wise,

I don't care about performance.  I imagine one or two
trivial reports run each day.  And, some simple forms
that get used about as often.

What I really want is to free *myself* from having to
do this stuff in perpetuity...

> but it does the job.  When I had to do this I did the same
> thing...
> ported the VBS code out of Access into Perl and got 500%
> faster results,
> but still used Access for "pretty reports."

Exactly.

> Some searches on google I'm sure will turn up more
> details.  Look for
> "enhanced data provider" and stuff.
>
> GL and god speed.

Thanks!