[Tfug] MSAccess frontend to PostgreSQL?

Nate nate at torzo.com
Thu Jul 3 14:26:13 MST 2008

I've done this before, but as soon as I could I wiped the horrible
nightmare^H^H^H experience from my brain.  So I don't remember all the
details, but it wasn't hard.  You just need to install the postgres
client drivers (available for download on postgresql.org) then set up a
ODBC connection in the ODBC control panel.  From there I think you just
create external links in access or something.  My memory definitely
fades from there.

I can tell you that it's not going to be the greatest performance wise,
but it does the job.  When I had to do this I did the same thing...
ported the VBS code out of Access into Perl and got 500% faster results,
but still used Access for "pretty reports."

Some searches on google I'm sure will turn up more details.  Look for
"enhanced data provider" and stuff.

GL and god speed.

Nate