[Tfug] [OT] WTB: motorcycle

Ryan Cresawn jrcresawn at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 12:09:09 MST 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Paul Lemmons <paul at lemmons.name> wrote:
> Hmmmm after the discussion of powerful bikes I hesitate to offer another
> alternative. If you are a first time rider and are looking only for simple
> local transportation you may want to go and see what they have at ScootOver
> on Broadway. They are not testosterone pumping chick-magnets but the
> scooters they sell are practical, simple to ride, simple to learn with
> incredible gas millage and just plain fun to drive.
>
> I ride a Kymco People 150 (as in 150cc) and it is perfect for me. No
> clutch-hand aches from riding in local traffic. Plenty of get-up-n-go at
> city speeds. It will go 60mph but is most comfortable at 50mph. Not any good
> at all on the highway but that is not what I bought it for. Right now I am
> spending about $5 a week on gas and I ride it back and forth to work every
> day (15 mile round trip) as well every where else that makes sense. It has
> pretty much replaced my truck for local travel.
>
> If I were to do it again, I would probably opt for the 250cc. Not so much
> for the power but for the storage. It has more space under the seat and in
> the rear "trunk".
>
> It is at least worth a gander.

My commute is also 15 miles round trip.  I cover this distance on my
bicycle.  Starting the commute and making the commitment to it was the
hardest part.  That was 2004.  Now I love it and feel down if I miss a
day.  Bicycles are inexpensive relative to motor vehicles and consume
only the energy used for their manufacture.  I am fortunate because my
employer has a locker room with shower stalls and I can store my
bicycle inside, but even in their absence I would still commute by
bicycle.  I don't really know what you intended use is for a
motorcycle but if it is for short trips you may wish to consider a
bicycle instead.  Good luck!

Ryan