[Tfug] webcam recommendations

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Tue Jul 1 18:55:12 MST 2008

Matthew Patenaude wrote:
> I am looking for any recommendation for [newer?] webcams that are at
> least fairly easy to get working in Linux. I use Hardy Heron. I would
> rather pick one up from a store than try to find a used one on line, if
> possible.
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Without knowing it's intended purpose, it's hard to make a
recommendation by model.

I have one of the Panasonic BB-HCM511A webcams that requires nothing at
all except a network connection.

It has a built in web server that allows you to network up to 16 cameras
together and is POE powered.

All I had to do was forward a unused external port in my router to the
internal IP and port 80 on the camera and voila, instant Internet
accessible security cam.  But then I have a couple of domain names
registered so that made it easy.

A while back I managed to get one of those Logitech Quickcam things
working on a Linux server without too much fuss but the quality of the
picture sucks in normal room lighting.

George Cohn