[Tfug] Connectors

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 12 09:12:08 MST 2008

Hi,

Being a hardware-type, I tend to obsess about silly
little things like *connectors* (connectors and capactors are
the two biggest failure items in most devices!)

I tend to do most of my "plugging" *blind*.  Either the
connector is located someplace that's inaccessible
(e.g., on the BACK of an item)...  *or*, someplace
"invisible" (e.g., poorly lit room)... *or*, my eyes
are preoccupied with something else at the time.

As a result, I find 102.6% of all connectors are very
uncooperative!

I suspect the easiest connection to make is a phono plug...
or, maybe a phone plug (the two are similar enough).
But, for more than a few conductors, these just are not
practical.

I am particularly annoyed with how piss poor the USB
(A *and* B!) connectors are -- considering how relatively
new they are!  (i.e., I can forgive the DB25 as it was the
result of an unholy marriage of IBM/ATT)

The FW connector is notably easier to mate than the USB
connectors -- though it is still a bit of a chore to do
blind.

Anyone have any *good* experiences in this regard?  Here,
I'm especially interested in some of the more "proprietary"
(i.e., not "industry standard") connections that you
may encounter on consumer kit...

Thx!
--don