[Tfug] hosts.allow

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Mon Jul 7 12:11:14 MST 2008

How does PARANOID work in a hosts.allow file?  I read the FM as PARANOID
matches whenever a reverse look-up on an incoming request shows a mismatch
between the avowed hostname and the one returned from the look-up.  If this
is correct, then if you want to drop anything that has this mismatch you
would put

ALL : PARANOID : deny

in your hosts.allow file.  Guidance I had from elsewhere was that you use just

ALL : PARANOID

which seems to me that this would allow any visitor who didn't match
his/her reverse look-up.  Which is correct usage for the hosts.allow file?

TIA
Jim