[Tfug] Followup: DNS hosting

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Thu Jan 31 18:17:29 MST 2008

Hello again,

After receiving suggestions here, I went ahead and registered the two names I
was interested in.

One of them, weaselreader.org, is for my Free software project (if interested,
see sig.).  Weasel Reader is hosted on SourceForge and has been for a long
time.  Really, I probably should have registered a name way earlier, but...

Unfortunately, SourceForge does not provide DNS hosting.  They do provide
VHOST services, which I have set up.  So I've got two of the three pieces:

1) Register a name.
2) Have SourceForge serve the proper page for requests on that name.
3) Profit?

Any suggestions on what I do for DNS hosting?  Since this is a free/OSS
project, I'm kinda looking for a free lunch here.  SF suggested using "The
Public DNS Service" at http://soa.granitecanyon.com/ which is all well and
good.  But, their registration pages are broken and their Usenet group has
been six months silent.

One of the other suggestions was to use dyndns.org for DNS hosting, but
unfortunately my permanent upgrade doesn't go quite that far and they want a
good chunk of change for the service.  :(

As many services as SF offers, you'd think they would offer this, too.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.