[Tfug] Missing root passwd

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 17:03:51 MST 2008

Yay!  My *first* (?) genuine Linux question!  :>

I have a Neoware Capio One thin client that
claims to run NeoLinux (i.e. "Neoware's Linux").
No idea on which distro it was originally based.

As is often the case on other systems, the "root"
password is "lost".  On any other machine, I would
simply boot another copy of the OS, mount the
original system's "/" someplace convenient (like
"/mnt") and then twiddle with the passwd(5)
related files to *clobber* root's password.  Then,
reboot with the modified original filesystem and
all should be well.  :>

However, this device is DoC based so it's not
quite that easy.  :<

Anyone with first-hand experience with these?
Or, suggestions as to an alternate plan of
attack?

Googling hasn't turned up any worthwhile leads.
Neoware has been consumed by HP so I could *try*
that route (though since they don't mention
any workarounds in their FAQs, I suspect they
will push a "return for service" solution  :< )

Thanks!
--don