[Tfug] OLPC XO-1 for sale

Jude Nelson judecn at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 18:04:42 MST 2008

Hi all,

As you may know from various tech news outlets, OLPC has had some
trouble with their Give 1, Get 1 program--namely, shipping the devices
in a timely manner.  I ordered mine on December 22nd, and the latest
status update has pushed my order's shipment back to sometime in March
(as opposed to sometime this week, like they originally said) due to
parts back-orders.  Unlike some donors, my name and address are in the
system, my order is in the shipping queue, my address has been
verified, so the only thing preventing it from shipping today is the
assembly line.

I'm not willing to wait till March, so here's what I'm willing to do:
for $200 up front, I'm willing to sell the XO-1 in advance on good
faith that I will give you both the XO-1 when it arrives and the
complementary T-Mobile HotSpot 1-year service that comes with it.  I
will forward all e-mails and communications I receive from OLPC to the
buyer.  Like I said, the device will be here sometime in March; I will
let you know the day it gets here.

For those of you who have never seen or used one before, it's pretty
decent.  It only takes about 10 watts of power peak, it has a newer
type of Lithium battery (LiFePo--Lithium Iron Phosphate) that lasts a
LOT longer than standard Lithium Ion, it's screen can switch between
~800x600 color and ~1200x900 greyscale, it has a water-resistant
keyboard and touch pad, it supports 802.11b, extended 802.11g and the
new 802.11s mesh networking protocols, it can function as both a
laptop and a tablet (no touchscreen though), it's shock-resistant, and
most importantly, it runs Linux.  Even better--it can run Debian and
Ubuntu :)

So if you're willing to pay $200, wait a month or two ("sometime in
March" could mean March 31st, according to OLPC), and get a
Linux-compatible subnotebook that can outlast a $2000 mini-laptop,
along with 1 year of free T-Mobile WiFi, e-mail me off-list and we can
set something up.

Regards,
Jude Nelson