[Tfug] Domain names

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Mon Jan 28 10:19:20 MST 2008

keith smith wrote:

> I think the term domain squatting is defined as having a domain that
> contains someone's trademark AND are trying to conduct business  in the
> same market as the trademark is registered in.
>
> As far as I know anyone can register any domain name and set on it.  I
> suspect the availability of domains will become increasingly scarce.
>
> In the last 3 1/2 years I have seen the availability of domain names
> decline substantially.

What I find distressing is that folks have registered many of the common
surnames and are just sitting on them with no links to any web site.
Also many variations of a surname and a business.  Typically things like
JonesCommunications and such.

And many of these registered domains that don't point to a web site are
marked private so the only way you can contact the registrar is by
registered mail.  I would like to see a rule that says if you don't have
it pointing to some sort of web site after a year, it defaults back to
the public pool.

But I suppose it's like buying a stock.  You hope that someone else will
want it badly enough to pay an outrageous price for it.

George Cohn