[Tfug] Domain names

Quag7 deepspace at dataswamp.net
Sun Jan 27 16:47:11 MST 2008

On Sunday 27 January 2008 10:39:21 am johngalt1 wrote:

> Is the complaint that the squatter "is not using" the
> domain, except to make an unreasonable profit off of it?
>
> If the owners had some content associated with those domain
> names, would that make their unavailability less
> distasteful?

Mixing one's labor with the land is customary, but domain squatting is not
something I lose sleep over.  I will say that I kind of wish that squatted
domains had something interesting on their web pages rather than those
generic "links to all sorts of subjects" which are fairly depressing in the
way spam is depressing.  A picture of a hot babe or lolcat or perhaps stills
from The Fall Guy or Simon & Simon (season 2) would be more interesting.  Or
maybe a photo of Dwayne from Whats Happening with a thought balloon
going, "hey HEY hey," mocking prospective domain purchasers with his stellar
fro.  Maybe the Doobie Brothers with Jeff "Skunk" Baxter seriously urging us
not to bootleg.  (Did you know he became a defense consultant?  How weird is
that?)

Anyway I still use godaddy.com which others have complained about but I've had
no problems at all.  Then again, I've never had to call them.  I've been able
to do anything I need through their rather extensive domain interface and
their support staff replies by e-mail within 24 hours.   I wouldn't say I'm,
oh, "brand loyal" or something, any more than I'm brand loyal to, say,
butter, but I've had no reason to switch, and I've moved domains around quite
a lot, and haven't had any problems.

I did want to register a South Georgia Island (.gs) domain, just to be
contrarian and exotic, but last I looked, they wanted $99 for 2 years for
this ghetto domain (in my case, I'm a Shackleton / South Atlantic junkie,
which is the nerdy allure.  Hey, we all have our hobbies).  I'm surprised
what some registrars get in other parts of the world.

 -Quag7