[Tfug] Domain names

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Sat Jan 26 21:13:02 MST 2008

I'm looking for recommendations on domain registrars.  It's been asked before,
yes, but not for a while.  What do you use?

And, as a second question, what do I do about domain squatting?  One of the
domains I wish to purchase is thankfully unregistered.  That shouldn't pose a
problem.  But, I also wish to purchase one for personal use and of the domains
I would *like* to use, almost all are taken.  Not by users, but usually by
squatters.

As an example, for one domain I tried the .com, .net, and .org names were all
occupied by squatters.  The .us version was in use by an actual musician for
his page.

Is there any recourse to this?  And it's not like they just want a couple of
dollars to hand it over.  On one I checked, the minimum asking price was
$1000!  I made an offer of $15.  I haven't heard back from them...

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.