[Tfug] DVD Writing

Jeffry Johnston tfug at kidsquid.com
Tue Jan 22 22:12:00 MST 2008

Can't edit. You can convert it (using mplayer/mencoder), or rip the
original AC-3 stream to a file.  Another option is ffmpeg.. same idea.

The alsa-tools package has a program called ac3dec.. so you could also
use that to decode the AC-3 if you rip it with mplayer.

Some examples.. they are all DVD, but you can easily adapt them, just
put a filename instead of dvd://... and leave off -alang and -chapter:

# Encode DVD chapters audio to MP3
mencoder dvd://1 -alang en -chapter 37 -ovc frameno -oac mp3lame
-lameopts cbr:preset=160 -of rawaudio -o test.mp3

# Encode DVD chapters audio to wav
mplayer dvd://1 -alang en -chapter 37 -vc null -vo null -ao
pcm:waveheader:file=test.wav

# Rip DVD chapter audio to AC3
mencoder dvd://2 -chapter 3-3 -ovc frameno -oac copy -of rawaudio -o
"Moby - Go.ac3"

Jeff