[Tfug] CAT5 Cables, The Sequel

johngalt1 johngalt1 at uswest.net
Sat Jan 19 14:58:16 MST 2008

When cutting off the outer jacket, I cut off at least 3/4 to
an inch. That way, once all the conductors are sorted,
ordered and dressed I take a pair or cutters and trim the
wires to length.

But first, I identify and untwist the pair bundles in order.
Green, Orange, Blue, Brown  (use whatever standard you
want). Sometimes the pairs don't come out of the entire
bundle neatly, so it helps to unweave them in different
directions until they dress without interfering with each
other.

Then, beyond the first 1/8 to 1/4 inch from the outer
jacket, I unwrap the pair strands in order in a fan shape.
W-GN/GN, W-O/O, W-BU/BU, W-BN/BN. (think palm tree leaves
"fan") On the ends, I straighten the waviness in the wires
because of the twisting to make the pairs.

Then, I swap the solid blue and orange strands and double
check the order. W-GN/GN, W-O/BU, W-BU/O, W-BN/BN. Then from
the fan shape of the strands, I push them together to make
them parallel with the cable axis. I use one hand to hold
the wires together (thumb and forefinger) and the other hand
to sort things and then to cut the strands to length, using
the connector as a guide

By this point, the wires are in the correct order, lined up
next to another and cut to length. After doing this, I
identify the pin one side of the connector and cram the
ordered bundle into the connector, taking care to watch how
well the wires stay lined up, and adjusting things to make
the wires line up with the channels in the connector..

Look at the side of the connector opposite of the contacts.
Are the wires crammed fully into the connector as far as
they can go? Are the wire colors still ordered properly? If
not pull the cable out of the connector and adjust things.
Usually I can pull out on the wires from the jacket to gain
some length if the wires don't go far enough into the
connector.

If I messed up, I re-cram the bundle back into the connector
and recheck. If the wire order and length are good, I check
to make sure the outer jacket extends far enough into the
connector so the jacket crimp will hold. If Ok, it's time to
crimp.

I don't recall reading what kind of crimper Don was using.
In brief there are the cheap "plier" or "hinge" type
crimpers. Then, there are the ratchet style crimpers, the
better of which usually have replaceable dies. With the
cheap crimpers, if you are forced to use them, I think it's
a good idea to squeeze the handles tightly several times
when doing a crimp.

The only times I have had trouble with non matched kit was
when using imported connectors with a genuine AMP crimper.
The AMP crimper would crush the chinese connectors.

Beyond taking care to use connectors intended for round
cable, I don't seem to have a problem using readily
available connectors with stranded or solid wire cable.

Try using different connectors or a better crimper..

How can anyone tell whether a RJ-45 style connector is
intended for solid or stranded wire by some visual clue? If
so, how?