[Tfug] CAT5 Cables, The Sequel

Tim Ottinger tottinge at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 16:56:17 MST 2008

Sympathy.  I don't do that kind of thing often (programmer by trade) and
so I'm only so good at it.

I don't want to ever do cabling again without a proper cat5 cable
tester.  It's good to check the pinouts quickly, and you can even do it
after routing.  Routing is a pain.  If I never need fish tape again,
that's fine with me.

I learned that it was good to put the tiny wires side-by-side as you go,
and give them a little down-and-up flex to get them to lay the way you
want them to.  I also stripped a bit more than I actually needed, got
them to lay flat, then cut the excess.  The little flex trick greatly
increased my success/failure ratio.

I also learned to buy (and keep handy) too many shells, because I end up
having to cut off and discard a few here and there.  I don't do this
often enough to get a "fight the first time" connection.  If I did it
enough, it wouldn't be a problem.