[Tfug] CAT5 cables

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Wed Jan 16 20:26:50 MST 2008

On 16 Jan 2008 at 17:21, Bexley Hall  wrote:

> Any issues I should be aware of before doing this? (sure seems like it should
> be a lead-pipe-cinch but the simple things ALWAYS have hidden consequences).

Don't untwist more than 1/8" (I *_think_* that's the spec for CAT5) or you may
have cross-talk problems.

> I realize the connector itself will probably not be as robust as those molded
> onto commercial cables. And, the locking tab will be "exposed" and thus more
> likely to get snapped off when the cable is abused.

If you want the fancy strain-relief caps, they're available.  Don't know if SWS
carries them, but you can get them here:

Network Boots, Network Boots Strain Relief, Network Cable Boots, Network Plug
Protector, Strain Relief Network Plug Protector
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchProducts.asp?categoryID=115

Or you could daisy-chain a 10' and and 25' using an inline CAT5 extender ;-)

> Other than that, I can't imagine anything else to worry about... (so said the
> wicked which just before the house landed on her!)

Which witch was that?

Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona
1-520-290-5038