[Tfug] CAT5 cables

Robert Hunter hunter at tfug.org
Wed Jan 16 20:14:24 MST 2008

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 05:21:21PM -0800, Bexley Hall wrote:
> I am not thrilled with the idea of leaving a
> coil of 15 feet of "excess wire" someplace
> (the room is already littered with cables :< ).

If it's coiled neatly, it shouldn't be a problem.  And it's good to
have a little extra cable in case you want to move the beastie.

> OK, I've got some wire left on the spool from
> wiring the house and Joe gave me a gizmo to crimp
> RJ45's onto CAT5 cable.  So, I should be able to
> just roll-my-own, right?
>
> Any issues I should be aware of before doing this?
> (sure seems like it should be a lead-pipe-cinch but
> the simple things ALWAYS have hidden consequences).

1) Use the same brand crimper and connectors.  Slight differences in
specs can make your life miserable.  Also, stranded wire uses a
different connector than solid wire.  Make sure the cable type and
connectors match up, too.

2) Make sure the you don't cut through the wire insulation when you strip
the outer cable housing.

3) Make sure you you unbraid as little wire as possible.  Smooth the
wires flat in the correct order.  Be careful not to let them get out
of order.  This is the number-one method of screwing up a cable. ;-)

4) Trim the wires to right length ( about 5/8", or 1.6 cm ).  If they
are too short, they won't reach the end of the connector.  Ideally,
you want to see the "copper dots" if you look at the connector
head-on.  If they are too long, then you won't get the cable housing
under the crimp.

5) Crimp over the cable housing.  This secures the cable to the
connector, and prevents the wires from losing contact with the
connector leads.

> I realize the connector itself will probably not be
> as robust as those molded onto commercial cables.
> And, the locking tab will be "exposed" and thus
> more likely to get snapped off when the cable is
> abused.
>
> Other than that, I can't imagine anything else to
> worry about... (so said the wicked which just before
> the house landed on her!)

HTH,

- --
Rob