[Tfug] An interesting network puzzle involving M.C. Hammer.

bpoag at comcast.net bpoag at comcast.net
Wed Jan 16 14:21:36 MST 2008

Hi Gang,

Let's say you're M.C. Hammer, and you can afford a server that has 2 NIC cards...eth0 and eth1. Both of them are cabled -- One of them goes to one switch, the other goes to a second switch. One of the interfaces (eth0) has an IP associated with it, and is happily running live on stage with parachute pants.

Is it possible to establish a new Etherchannel interface, (a logical active-passive interface made of up of both NICs),  in a way that wouldn't STOP -- Hammertime the traffic flow over the pre-existing interface? Or would a downtime be needed to drop the IP off of one of the member NICs, and apply it to the Etherchannel interface?

Incidentally, this is what i'm set to try at work pretty soon..  I'll be coming up with my own answer, but i'm curious about any feedback anyone might have in the meantime.

Cheers,
Bowie